Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Countdown- 7 days!

Ryan, Grandpa Miyake & Derek (and Aubs in the background!). Ryan's Grandparents sent these shirts last year for Christmas! They say "Big Guy" & "Little Guy." Cute! When I was on my mission - I played the piano a lot! I usually played every week at district meeting, and when I was serving on the Navy base I played every week in both of our branches. It was a great learning experience for me - and it helped me be unafraid to play while people are singing. That is not to say my playing was perfect by any means. When it was Christmas time, every district was performing a Christmas song at zone conference. Our district was assigned the song "Good Christian Men Rejoice," and yours truly was accompanying (sp?) the district.... Or trying to! I had never even heard of that song before, so it was terribly tricky trying to figure out how to play it! We practiced several times before zone conf. but I just could not get the hang of it. I kept practicing, though, and I knew I would do my best on the day of zone conf. Well... the time came for our district to sing - and let me just say everyone had done great up to this point - well we get up in front of everyone and I started playing, but something just happened when everyone started singing. I can't remember exactly, but one of the elders started singing louder or something, and it just hit my funny bone. I started chuckling to myself, which is not the best idea when you are trying to accompany people. I made a few mistakes, but everyone in the district was used to that since that's what happened in all of our practices. Then, I lost my place and stopped playing all together. Most of the elders and sisters kept plugging along, singing without the piano. I tried to pick up where they were singing but I got a bad, bad case of the giggles. For some reason it was hilarious to me that I was sitting there, in zone conf, trying to play this song that I had never heard (so even by this point I still didn't really know how it was supposed to sound!). I just started laughing harder, and harder and harder. A few people in my district were laughing by this point too. So you can imagine that the singers finished the song without the piano. Oh my! Still to this day I can't help but giggle every time I even think of "Good Christian Men Rejoice!"

3 comments:

Brooke said...

What a hilarious story. I can totally see that happening to you. Thanks for making me smile. :)

Brian and Amelia said...

That's great! I'm so glad that you can laugh about it. Just reading this brought back great memories with you, and made me smile! You are, and always were, a very happy person - and I truly look up to you. Thanks for being a great example and reminder to me!

Melissa said...

Just reading this made me want to laugh! I guess it's the kid me, or something, but the best times to laugh are when you really shouldn't. Thanks for sharing.