Monday, October 6, 2008

Another Great Book Club!

We had book club last Thursday and, as always, it was a lot of fun! This month we read "A Thousand Splendid Suns," by Khaled Hosseini. It is a really good book - but it's really sad too. It really makes me appreciate living in America - especially being a woman & living here! I told my mom & sisters that after they read this they would understand my fear of being stuck in Afganistan. It is really interesting to learn about their history, though. This is a list of rules that the Taliban enforced after they took over: (this is just part of the list) "All citizens must pray five times a day. If it is prayer time & you are caught doing something other, you will be beaten. Singing is forbidden. Dancing is forbidden. Playing cards, playing chess, gambling, & kite flying are forbidden. Writing books, watching films & painting pictures are forbidden. If you steal, your hand will be cut off at the wrist. If you steal again, your foot will be cut off. Attention women: comsetics are forbidden, jewelry is forbidden. You will not wear charming clothes. You will not make eye contact with men. You will not laugh in public. If you do, you will be beaten. You will not paint your nails. If you do, you will lose a finger." etc. etc.
Lins had what I thought was a really beautiful point about the story. She said that even though it is sad - it is really a love story. Not necessarily a "romantic" love story, but a story about all different kinds of love. I wish I could remember exactly how she said it, because it is definitely true! Reading this book helped me appreciate the countless blessings & freedoms I have! And it really is about love. I don't know how anyone could live under those circumstances without having love.

0 comments: