Thursday, April 9, 2009

This too shall pass...

I remember when I was in 8th grade Biology (I think it was 8th grade...) and my biology teacher was crazy. Seriously! He really scared me - and once he dunked a kid's head in the fish tank! (Did any of you have Mr. Maughn?!) I remember telling my Granny how much I dreaded going to Biology and she said to me : "This too shall pass." At the time I thought 8th grade was going to stretch on forever! Every day I had to go to this class with this teacher that seriously scared me and it seemed like it would never end!

Well now I look back on 8th grade and realize how fast things really do go by - just at the time it sometimes seems so long! Right now we are doing well - we are just having a hard time getting all the way healthy! Poor Scooter has Pneumonia. It started as croup last Thursday but he just wasn't getting better & he was sleeping on my shoulder or in my lap for most of the day. We took him back to our dr. yesterday & his oxygen levels were low- so he had to have a shot and a chest x-ray and they suctioned out his lungs. (I was a little freaked out when I heard he had to have his lungs suctioned - but it sounds worse than it is. He still didn't like it by any means, but they just put a very small tube in his nose & it gets all the gunk out!) We went back to the dr. today just to make sure his oxygen levels were up - but unfortunately they were not. So Scooter had another shot & another trip to the hospital for suctioning. Poor kiddo! We can tell that the shot & the other antibiotics hes taking are starting to help though- thank goodness! He is not sleeping all day any more & he's smiling, laughing & talking more! (oh I missed his sweet smile!!). Every time he gets sick I just feel a HUGE feeling of gratitude that he is normally so healthy. I don't know how parents who have chronically sick kids do it- I really can't imagine anything harder than having your sweet little kid really sick.

So anywho... We have another trip to the dr. tomorrow- so hopefully his oxygen levels will be up & he'll keep getting better! We're lucky that he's such a little trooper! And I just have to say- I'm so lucky that Ryan is so amazing! I was freaked out (ok - maybe more than a "little" freaked out! ha ha!) when I found out we had to go to the hospital to get his lungs suctioned, so Ryan left work to come with us! He is just the best!!

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Poor Scooter! I think you have a great attitude and believe that somehow our little children can feel the power of their parent's faith, optimism and gratitude when they need it most.

Amber Miyake said...

Oh Melissa- you're so sweet! Thanks for saying that! It was seriously just what I needed to hear! Thank you! :)

Angela said...

I never had Mr. Maughn...I'm glad I didn't though! That's too bad that Derek is feeling so awful. It's never fun as a parent to go to the Dr. or hospital with one of your little ones. I hope he gets feeling better soon.

Amber Miyake said...

Thanks Angela - I really appreciate that! :)
p.s. It's too bad you didn't have Mr. Maughn... Just kidding- it's good you didn't, he really was crazy!

The Perkins Fam said...

I didn't know he was sick :( I feel your pain. Once Liv had to have a tube in to get a urine sample and I had to leave the room because I couldn't take it. I hope he is feeling better. Maybe we will have to bring him a little prize when we do the book swap.
Oh and I never had Maughn, but I remember his classroom smelled awful!

Amber Miyake said...

Oh Nat I totally know what you mean about having to leave the room! Every time he has to have something I just wish I could have it done instead of him! Thanks for being concerned - and thanks for your txt earlier!
I'm excited to do another book swap tomorrow! I am going to look at my books and find some fun ones for you to borrow!
Thanks again! :)