Tuesday, August 26, 2008

And that is why I am Not a practical joker...

We have had so much fun having Ryan's family in town! We had a family BBQ on Sunday, and Ryan's dad kept giving me a hard time - saying I was a trouble maker! (That is so not true!) So, I decided that if he was calling me a trouble maker, I might as well cause some trouble, ha ha! I really am not a practical joke person! Honest! I never want to make people feel bad, and I always learned that "If you're going to dish it out, you better be able to take it!" Well, I don't particularly like having jokes played on me, so I don't play them on other people. But I decided that when we went to dinner on Monday night, I would tell the servers that it was Jeff's b-day. I planned that I would tell them that he didn't want them to sing, & he would deny that it was his birthday, but we needed to sing to him! I told Ryan about it, and when we were at dinner I told everyone else, except Jeff of course. They agreed to go along with me and say it was his birthday! Well... the actual event was much funnier in my mind that in real life!! The workers came to sing to him & Jeff said it wasn't his birthday. They really believed it was - and they asked him if he would stand up so they could sing to him. He said, "No." I was like, um... crap! They sang anyway, and he said, "It isn't my birthday!" and he did not look very happy. At that second, I remembered why I am NOT a joke player. I felt so bad! It kind of ruins the whole point of playing a joke when the joker is apologizing repeatedly and worrying that her not laughing father in law is ticked at her! He told me he was not mad, though, and when we went to dinner the next night and they were singing to someone, he just looked at me and shook his head! I told him that he would think of me everytime they sing to someone in a restaurant! And he said he would - he would think of me & it would remind him that he didn't get even with me yet...Um, should I be worried?!
Oh, and just a side note: joking around with people, and saying things like "I worked for the FBI," or "I used to be on the mini golf profesional circuit" are not practical jokes - that is just being silly, and sometimes peole believe you because they don't expect it! Totally different from playing jokes!

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I'm sorry it didn't turn out well. I also hate playing jokes on other people (and have them played on me). :) I'm sure he'll forgive you eventually.

Keely said...

That sounds like a funny joke but sorry it didn't turn out like you wanted. Silly Bishop Miyake! I guess I was a hard companion......with all my joking around.

If the Miyakes are still in town, tell them I said hi!!! It's so crazy to me that all of the Miyake kids will be married.....well, maybe just the girls. I guess they will always be the "little sisters" to me!!!

Lindsay Lowder said...

Amber, Ha you go girl! That's Funny