Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Rough Week!

I have enjoyed recording Scooter's "firsts" since he was born! You know - his first time rolling over, sitting up, eating cheerios, etc. But "first concussion" is NOT something I was excited to record. The middle of last week he fell and hit the front of his head really hard on the wall. He is a pretty tough little kid and so when he cries you know that he's really hurt. We hugged him and helped him feel better, and he seemed ok in a few minutes. But, later that night he started throwing up. Poor kiddo! We felt so bad for him. He threw up several times in the night, and Ry wondered if it could be from hitting his head. We called Lins the next morning and she got us in to see the Dr. she works for. He had to have a CT scan - and he did have a concussion. Fortunately there wasn't any bleeding or anything, and he was acting like he felt ok, thank goodness! Then, two nights ago he had a really hard time sleeping. He woke up and couldn't fall back asleep until around 3. We took him to the Dr. yesterday, and he has an ear infection in both ears!! I feel so bad for my little Scooter! He got an antibiotic and so that should start helping pretty quickly! It has been a rough week - but it has really helped me feel grateful that he is usually such a healthy little kid. I think we've only ever had to take him to the doctor for being sick twice before this, so that is definitely something to be grateful for! :)

5 comments:

Brian and Amelia said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! It's so hard to have your little one sick. And I'm sorry that he got a concussion! He must've hit his head pretty hard. :( He's a tough little cookie, though, with a wonderful mother!

Angela said...

Oh boy! I'm glad everything ended up ok for Derek. It's not fun to see your kids get hurt. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving! We'll be at my moms, so maybe we'll see you!

Melissa said...

Poor boy! I hope it's his last concussion!

Brooke said...

I'm sorry you've had such an hard week. It really is the worse when the kids are sick. I sure hope Derek feels better soon. My Ben thinks being sick is great because he gets to lay on the couch all day and gets pop and special snacks, and we play games and watch movies. I guess moms will do whatever it takes to make their little kids feel better. :)

Keely said...

About 6 months ago Elley fell from a swing and hit her head on the patio. She got all cold, clammy and fell asleep with in 15 minutes of falling. I was so scared that I called the nurse line at the hospital. The nurse said that it was okay that she was sleeping but if she started throwing up she needed to come right in. Well, I wasn't even off the phone with the nurse and she started throwing up. Adam and I had to take her to the hospital and she too had to have a cat-scan. Turns out she had a concussion.
Sorry about the rough week....sick kids are no fun!!!